Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Started Training for a 5k!!!

Hello Buddies,

On Monday, I started training for a 5k that I will run on May 10. It's a short time away, for training, but since the event is not timed and is a run/walk event, it is okay. I am excited! There are three events in May and June that I am thinking of running/jogging/walking. I used to run a looooooong time ago, and am excited about getting into it again. I want to be able to run (slowly/jog) a 10k in September before my trip in October. I'd like to be my goal weight by then, as well, but I seem to be losing weight slower than necessary to do that. It will be okay either way.

I really need to buy some good running shoes. I'm torn about that. I have some good vegan athletic shoes, but they wouldn't be the best "running shoes." I haven't found any vegan ones. That bums me out. If any of you know of some good quality running shoes that are vegan, let me know! Please! I need some that would be supportive and comfortable for running miles and miles.

As for a haiku, hmmm, I'm not certain what I want to write about! It has been snowing off and on since yesterday afternoon and has been colder than it had been the last couple of weeks. I hope tomorrow is nice; I'm going to the hot springs with my friend, Melodi. The sunburn I got last time I went, about 2 1/2 weeks ago, has healed. I'm ready for another trip! I'm still not thinking of a haiku topic. Maybe tomorrow.

The quote for yesterday
, in my favorite book, is from Matthew Bortolin in The Dharma of Star Wars.

The only way to balance within one's self and peace in the world is to face the dark side with openness and courage - and to come to terms with the truth of reality as it is.

That one was too good to pass up on passing along to you. It goes so well with my most recent post on my Awareness Village Blog on satya, or truthfulness. The following paragraph and quote is from that blog and says all I really need to say about this quote.

I believe, most importantly, satya applies to your relationship with yourself. Everything, satya included, starts with you, moving from our inside world to the outside world. When you are honest with yourself, you remove delusion and the filters through which you see your own behavior and your world. Sometimes it isn't easy to be honest with ourselves. We have had years of practicing habits, patterns of perception, and beliefs which work together to color our understanding of ourselves at any given moment. These are our filters. By practicing satya, we, over time, eliminate our filters and increase actions which arise from the truth in our relationships with ourselves and others. We act from a place of truth, not from a place of the fears and assumptions we learned through using our filters. Then we can think, speak and act from truth and in accordance with our highest goals and beliefs. When we consistently practice satya, we have no reason to fear our behavior and we have no regrets. In his book "Raja Yoga," Swami Kriyananda says it all.

An attitude of truthfulness means to try always to see things as they are, to accept the possibility that one may be mistaken in his most cherished opinions, to entertain no likes and dislikes that might prejudice his perception of reality as it is.

Today was a bit of a stressful day just because it was "tax day." But I was able to get my extension filed this morning and go on with my day. I don't know why I felt stressed, but I did. I'm over that, though, and now and I'm just tired.

Since I need some rest, I'm going to meditate for a bit, knit for a bit, read for a bit, then sleep for a much longer bit.

Many blessings to all of you,
Jun-ri

P.S. The animals still need some help. Won't you help me meet my donation goal? Thanks!

Donate to the ASPCA Today!

No comments:

Post a Comment