Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Volunteering, Chocolate and Sex

Good Afternoon,

Did I get you with that headline???? Hmmm????? LOL

It's a beautiful day here in Tahoe. I am sitting at my kitchen table looking at the creek running outside. It is running very fast today! It is sunny, but a bit cooler than it has been the last couple of weeks. I even woke up in the middle of the night because I was cold and had to put on an extra blanket.

Things have been going pretty well today. I've gotten some "stuff" done and am on track with most of my projects of the day.

Here's a haiku.

Water rushes by
A cool breeze touches the earth
Sun shines on it all

I've had a craving for bread today. I seldom buy bread, so there isn't any in the house. I did have a small box of organic chocolate chip cookie mix, though. I've had the box for ages. It called for eggs, but I didn't have any, but had some egg replacer. I just whipped up the batch and they are in the oven now. I'm not sure what they'll taste like. Without the egg it didn't have quite the right consistency so I had to add some water. The box only made one dozen so if they taste okay, they won't completely kill my diet and if they suck it isn't much of a waste! LOL

I've found that minor indulgences in my cravings works best for me. If I say "no no no," it turns into "gimme gimme gimme." So, I have french fries and chips and salsa once a week. A Starbucks caramel macchiato can be had once a month. I usually work it into my plan and I always track it when I track my food. That way I control my cravings, rather than them controlling me.

I haven't meditated yet today, but plan to do it, and exercising, before dinner. I have an Al-Anon meeting to go to tonight, so I want to meditate beforehand. I like to be centered when I go. I don't need much help anymore (though sometimes I still do) but I want to be the best version of myself so I can be there for others who may need my help. It is a better way for me to serve others and works out well for me, too.

And how about that idea of helping others? I read an article in a magazine sometime in the last couple of days that said volunteering actually lights up the same areas of the brain, and sends endorphins (our feel-good chemicals) into our body, in the same places and ways that chocolate and sex do! WOW! That's pretty cool! I don't know if feeding the hungry can take the place of sex, for me......chocolate, maybe. When it comes to sex, I prefer to keep the hungry and homeless out of things. But, it's a great thing, nonetheless. So put on your volunteer hat and go get 'em!

Have a great day,
Jun-ri

Donate to the ASPCA Today!

No comments:

Post a Comment